Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wings of.................................................

At art unraveled I purchased a couple pieces of hand dyed felt. I knew I wanted to do wings using vintage lace. I kept putting them aside then picking them back up. It finally dawned on me why I was doing wings. Well, besides the obvious that I just like them. Let me back up a few months.
In January my son informed us he was not going to apply to any colleges. He needed a break and he wanted to follow his passion of music. We struggled with this. Many late night heated conversations. How could he not want to go to college? This was not in the plan. What would everyone think? What do we tell the rest of the family? What kind of parents were we who did not make their child go on to college? How would he succeed in life without a college education? We don't want to see our children make the same mistakes we made. We hate to see them struggle and get discouraged. I remember making choices my parents didn't approve of. Some out of rebellion. Some because they were my dreams. Oh, I remember being 18 and thinking I knew everything. I keep telling myself I have come to accept his decision. He has always been a free spirit. Never one to follow, always lead. And like both of his parents has some rebel in him. This is his life, his passion,his dreams,his joy. We can only be here to share those dreams,joy and any disappointments.
So back to the wings. It hit me. I had all these emotions. I needed to get out. I need to bless and release my son into the world.
These are your Wings of.......hope,dreams,courage,trust,strength,safety,love,joy,
achieve,believe.
When I showed him the wings, I thought he would laugh and roll his eyes. Instead he hugged me and said I will be fine mom.
The world awaits you Travis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a side note, his sister wants him to move out so she can use his room as her closet.

11 comments:

Jessi Nagy said...

hey there ,
this is gorgeous!!!
thanks for stoppin by.
oxoox,
jessi

Cristine's Story said...

Absolutely amazing Becky. Those kids, they always make us see things in a different light!

C K said...

It seems to me, in looking back over my own life, that the best thing I've learned is how to listen to my own heart, and then to figure out how to make my dreams come true. Sure, I've failed a lot of times, but each time, I figured out a new strategy, picked myself back up, and took off (usually full bore) in the direction of my dreams. I think it has been a life well spent. It's not always been the life my parents would have chosen for me, either. I had to laugh at the bedroom-come-closet focus of your daughter. A perfect example of finding a way to create what we want from what is available in the world around us. My heart is with you, and I know you will find a way to advise your son that he can hear and you can feel good about.

Cindy said...

Love His Wings...how wonderful! You did a beautiful job. On the wings and you kiddos! : D

c

Tina(Taken over by her daughter, Nicole) said...

amazing piece! Kids-make ya crazy,but you have to give them "wings"
hugs!

Maija said...

I have tears in my eyes! You did what you could. You can take the horse to the water, but you can't make it drink- so true with out children especially as they get older!

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

what a wonderful blessing for your son...

lol about the room for a closet, what a creative girl!

xo

carlene federer said...

WHOA dude! I can't believe you made those beautiful things somehow related to thinking about Travis, lol! If I made wings while thinking about Dane, they would be like bat wings or something, lol!!! Not really, but you know what I mean HAR!
Those are amazing I hope you have a great place to display them in your home, they deserve to be out where people can admire them!
Don't worry about Trav, it'll all be ok!!!

Alison Gibbs said...

Wonderful post. I am so glad you are letting him fly. Too often people worry about 'what will people think'. I say who cares what they think - not everyone needs a college education to succeed in life and with the guidance you have given Travis over the years he is sure to be a successful and happy young man in whatever path in life he choses.
Alison

Laume said...

All my kids listen to our advice, sometimes take it, but whether I like it at any particularly moment I still believe more importantly, they sometimes don't take it and go and do what they feel they must go and do. Sometimes it worries me. Sometimes it worries me a LOT. But still, I have to admit, they're all carving their own paths. Sometimes the choices our kids (or we) make aren't the right ones, true enough, but it's just as important to learn what you DON'T want to do as what you want to do in life. A year from now, who knows, he might decide to go to college after all. Or he might not because his path is working for him. But I know that mom worry gene just keeps buzzing no matter what sage words we tell ourselves or each other.

Laume said...

Oh, P.S. - your wings are lovely. I just put up all sorts of wing photos on my blogs in the last few weeks.