Saturday, February 16, 2008

A few treasures


On my recent trip to my mom's I was able to bring back just a few items that she had put my name on over the years. The first is the table. It had belonged to my grandmother. I remember it being in her house when I was a little girl. The 2 jars of buttons had belonged to my maternal grandma. The crystal creamer and sugar bowl had been my great grandmothers. The blue and brown vase with the bird is dated 1898. I'm not sure where or who it had come from. I always loved the colors and the bird. I feel very lucky to have items that had been family pieces. I will share more as I get around to unpacking them. My house is very small and I don't have room to display everything. I had always shared the love of antiques and family pieces with my mom. Something neither of my children share with me. I don't know if it is because they live in such a disposable society. Everything has to be new. If it gets worn out or broken they just throw it away. They don't get how I can find something old, worn, discolored, chipped,or torn a treasure. For now I will keep these items close to my heart and hopefully some day they will find the beauty and sentimental value in them.

5 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What wonderful treasures holding lovely memories for you.
AS your children get older they may come to appreciate the family history with some of your treasures.
Alison

Charmingdesigns said...

You have some wonderful pieces!! I just put my silver pincushion on my ebay, which you can get to from my blog. Thank you. Laurie

Casii said...

They will. I did. It will happen.

carlene federer said...

gorgeous pieces, glad you have some beautiful things from your family...btw, those flowered pieces in the upper right of the photo might be chintz ware, which can be very valuable...
Travis has been over a couple times in the last few weeks...I swear he gets taller every time I see him, lol!

Kayla Wallace said...

This is a greeat post